Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Random Catching up Post

First, thanks to my official "followers" and to all my other friends and family who tell me they read what I have to say. You make me smile:)

Several days ago. Buddy, Papa, and I were walking from his school to our car. It had been raining for days, but on that day, it would rain hard, stop, then mist, then the sun would shine, and then start all that over again. As we walked to the car, a little bit of all of that happened. Buddy said, "Gaga, this is just the perfect day! Just perfect. There's a little of everything." I loved that. And I do love that boy.

Since then we have enjoyed almost perfect weather - upper sixties and even seventies. With sun. Sorry everyone who doesn't live here.




Buddy has a cold and stayed home with us on Tuesday. We've been making an ant farm from a kit: plaster of paris, a plastic mold, front cover, tubing, and other assorted parts. We impatiently let the plaster dry, he painted the face of it, then we had to let it dry/cure another few days. So we took advantage of the sick day to work on it some more. Finally the farm is ready for ants, and we can't find any that are big enough to enjoy watching. I may have to BUY ants. How silly is that? Several years ago, the pest control man gave me an award for having more ants that anyone he'd ever known.




In addition to the new ant farm, this little collection lives on my kitchen counter. The jar is another ant farm we made, the salad container is a tadpole habitat with a population of two...now almost froglets. The other cute thing is one of his many critter keepers, ready for the next victim/prize. Thank goodness, his parents are willing to lug home all the other creatures we collect and the projects we make. Well, I do have a stash of projects and art work. I am telling myself they make my house appear enjoyed.

Roo and I were making cookies the other day. When we were almost done she said, "I am just LOVING this day!" I love her to pieces, too. Both children are past the stages that require much physical effort. Now, I can mostly put out books, art, and craft supplies....and food. And POOF! The day is gone. Love it. Well, there is the cleaning up.

I feel very foolish for not having oodles of pictures from our valentine celebration, but I was having too much fun to stop and find the camera. Next time.

I am distressed that tonight I must decide between Olympics and Idol.Last night, too! Oh, no! I don't watch much TV, so it doesn't seem right that I must choose. I plan to study my online French lessons while I watch - so I won't feel lazy. I used to make an afghan during every winter Olympics. That worked for me for many years.

I just told Papa that I feel happy on days when I am productive. Today was one of those: weeding the garden and picking greens for dinner, stopping by the art center to take care of a few little tasks, and buying seeds and starter pots so that tomorrow the kids and I can plant tomato seeds indoors and spinach in the raised bed. I also made a run to the framer to pick up and leave paintings, cooked dinner, and now I'm getting ready to study. I'll tread before I go to bed.

And even better, the housekeepers came this afternoon. So my house is clean - except the studio. Even their magic is not enough in this room. A year ago I thought new storage for me and a desk for Papa would change the climate of the studio. Short lived. Yesterday I visited the office of a graphic designer. His office was arty and tidy all at the same time. Why not me?

Now the last random thought. A couple of months ago I was startled to realize that I have cleavage. Imagine that. I had waited 69 years. Unfortunately, the cleavage is not as good news as it seems; it's due to my recent weight gain. No, I am not fat, but compared to my "usual" weight, I am large. And I feel big. And I never thought this would happen. I have spent years trying to eat in the most healthy way possible and often helped students/clients with weight issues. My mantra - in addition to making healthy food choices - has always been to avoid mindless eating. I like positive statements rather than negative, so now I am surprised I said that to others or to myself. Yesterday, I read about a woman who eats mindfully. I love the positive tone. Encouraging.

3 comments:

  1. I love that the children have been taught to appreciate their days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am mindlessly eating my sandwich as I read this. I am wolfing it down since a) I only have a few minutes to eat it and b) I was starving! All this equals major mindlessness.

    I like the updates here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think of mindless eating as gobbling the crusts from the kids sandwiches - just because they are there, dipping a hand into the peanut jar one more time before closing the lid, grabbing a cookie as you walk through the kitchen, and so on. Gotta eat lunch, but we can make mindful choices in selecting our sandwiches - or whatever. Of course sometimes the kid's crusts become my lunch.

    ReplyDelete