Saturday, February 6, 2010

99

In the last few days, much ado has been made of Ronald Reagan's 99th birthday. Reagan is revered by many, and perhaps it is worthwhile to make note of his birthday. But every time I hear that this would have been the 99th anniversary of his birth, I think about Mother. She and Ronnie were the same age, with birthdays just a few days apart. Her 99th would have been this coming Saturday, February 13.In honor of her life, I will talk about her this week.

As children do, I suppose, sometimes I didn't notice Mother's beauty or appreciate her talents. Others did, though. Even a few days before her death, nurses commented on how youthful she appeared and the beauty of her skin. They thought she looked seventy-five, not ninety five. (I tried to insert a favorite photo here, but it won't upload - perhaps later.) And I was often told Mother was "the perfect woman." In the early years, I didn't understand that. Now I do. She was strong, a hard worker, determined - stubborn even, and kind. With her spunk, she set an example for all of us. I hope I can highlight those strengths.

Her aging process is also a reality check. She looked wonderful for her age, but I watched her steady decline and, in her last years, observed her limited quality of life. Now I can see my own signs of approaching old age and even hear my daughter complain of her "aging." I don't want this to happen! I feel I have to do all I can now, before it is too late. I suppose Mother felt this way, too.

This week I will include photos of Mother and essays about her. Stay tuned and feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment