Thursday, January 21, 2010

Homework assigned by GEW


GEW - Rah!

Pouffy and skinny me on the right (Yep, that is a polyester dress I made.)


GEW passed along a homework assignment she completed for a follower of her blog. I am to make a list of seven things I have not mentioned in my blog. Since I haven't blogged very long, my list of interesting (or not) tidbits I could submit is almost endless. But these are the first seven that came to mind:

1. I have to endure looking at old pictures of me with lacquered bouffant hair, blonde Afro hair (because daughter thought her mom would look really cool with that hip hairdo), and an array of other bad dos.

2. When I was about ten, I decorated my huge, rusty, red hand-me-down boy's bike with red and white crepe paper streamers and tobacco leaves to ride in the tobacco parade. This was in the days before I - or most folks - knew that the livelihood of southern farmers could kill you.

3. I used to function fairly well in the academic world. I finished my M.Ed in counseling and then completed almost all the course work for my EdD. I turned down the opportunity to complete my doctorate via independent study - thought I could finish after we moved to Wisconsin with Papa. Not possible.

4. I am GEW's mom and was her high school counselor. I survived her cheerleading years, but barely. As a counselor's kid, she never got special favors - except one. I still laugh to think of the look on her face when she came flying into the guidance office yelling, "Mom! You HAVE to get me out of that trig class." I knew she was right. She and that teacher would not have made it through the year.

5. I was a school counselor and then in private practice. Later, as a pre-retirement folly, I opened a needlework shop and operated it for about twelve years. I taught quilting, embroidery, knitting, and wearable arts. I worked harder than ever and loved it.

6. Papa picked out the house we live in and I didn't see it until I arrived in CA. Now that I have painted most of the walls red, I love it.

7. I used to be skinny. And I didn't know it. I always thought my fanny was too big. I would give almost anything for my old one, now.

5 comments:

  1. Your hair is bigger than mine! Your hair is bigger than mine! :)

    BTW, thanks again for getting me out of trig.

    And as for #7, I know what you mean! Regarding my OWN arse, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GEW's Mom! And hi GEW! Wow, do you two ever look alike...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two do look alike! Oh the hours with the curling iron and spray.
    Red walls are fab, I love the butterfly --->
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty big hair, huh? AND it was stiff. Welcome Ink and Anon. GEW and I have never thought we looked alike - but folks say we do. Maybe as we - uh - age?

    I do love my red walls. Glad you like the butterfly:)

    ReplyDelete