Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blocked - I hate that word

I am jealous. Buddy, my grandson, never seems to experience artist's block. Occasionally he will ask, "Gaga what can I do?" But with a little prompt or presented with new material, his creativity kicks in. Perhaps I need someone to do that for me.

Writing and art instructors like to say - and each seems to think she is the only one to say it - that you "just have to show up." Well, that is not always true.

I show up most every day. Some writing and some paintings don't cut it. They are certainly not inspired work.

Maybe tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here is what I am working on for my writing group assignment:

It Can’t Be Too Late

It can’t be too late
To open that door
And climb the stairs
Of opportunity

To hike a hill
And reach a peak
Achieving
Goals not thought of

To plant a garden
With seeds of wisdom
And watch you grow
In understanding

To paint a portrait
Depicting you
With planes
Of light and shadow

To seize opportunity
And reach the peak
With wisdom
And new insight

It can’t be too late


I can't decide if I need to say "you" or "me." And I don't like the line that says "And watch you grow," although that is what I want to say. I will see if my group can help me tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I really like "goals not thought of." Very compelling phrase/idea.

    ReplyDelete