Monday, March 1, 2010

Roo often says no, but usually not in defiance. Over the years, if one of the grandchildren were to say no in response to my request for action, I would likely remind him/her that "you don't say no" to Gaga or most other grown-ups - in a pleasant way, of course. And they usually then do what I have asked. Roo usually complies, sometimes begrudgingly. Buddy looks crushed to have been reprimanded.

So late Sunday afternoon, Roo, Buddy, and I were crowded into my laundry room, a closet, really. It is quite small. I was folding clothes, Buddy was rummaging through a stash of salad containers and boxes (I save them for him.) to find one that could serve as a lizard habitat, and I think Roo wandered in to be with everyone.

Because I had a little pile of Roo's clothes ready to pack, I handed them to her and asked her to take them to the living room and put them by her duffle bag. "No." I asked again. "No." Well, hmmmm. I don't usually let her get by with that, but I knew she was very tired and hungry. And I didn't want her to be grumpy for the last hour or so of her visit. We had had a grand time and I hated for it to end on a sour note. So I thought a few seconds then quietly said, "Roo, I am going to give you a pass on that today. I think you must have forgotten that when I ask you to do something, you need to do it. Next time you come to Gaga's I want you to remember that." I felt like I had caved, but maybe not totally. So Roo prissed out of the laundry closet. I kept folding clothes and Buddy kept plundering, at one point muttering in disgust, "This is just a one person room." In a few seconds Roo reappeared. "Actually I decided I wanted to take my clothes to the living room." I was amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment