Friday, April 30, 2010

Nice

Today I went, for the second time, to teach an art class at a little elementary school that's within walking distance from my house. When I arrived there, students were eating lunch with family members on large grassy areas that surround the building. Volunteers in cute aprons and chef's hats were serving healthy snacks; I suspect they were university students. I found out from the teacher of the class I was visiting that the last Friday of every month is family lunch day. Very cool. Some parents had brought pizza, some had packed nice lunches. "Dessert" from the volunteers was beautiful carrots. I wish I could have seen what else they served. Curious.

The weather was beautiful. Because it usually is, our schools use outdoor areas extensively. Kids almost always eat outside.

I still think my grandson's school is just about the best in the world, but it is great to see good stuff happening at the other school in town.

The class I was working with was well mannered and productive. It helps that classes are small - 21 students. In my first teaching job, 41 students were packed into a second grade classroom. In SC. With no AC. Oh, my! And I wondered why I couldn't do better than I did. I was happy to see that the teacher and her student teacher had time to run to the restroom, eat their own lunches in peace, and seemed relaxed - not toooo overworked. Parents seem to take very active roles in making the school work. So nice.

After teaching, I stopped by the Art Center, of course, then went to take my paintings down at a local business. I will rehang them at an attorney's office on Monday.

Tonight, Papa grilled pork roast with Ollie's BBQ sauce. I cooked great grits and green beans. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment