Monday, April 12, 2010

Feast and Famine

I haven't blogged for a few days because each day I thought I would snap pictures of my gardens, front landscaping that is finally beginning to fill out, and the backyard area that was sparse last year and is now overgrown. Or my latest paintings in progress. Or Buddy and Roo. As you see, I haven't done that. Sigh. I miss so many photo opportunities.

But just because I have no photos to share - that's the famine part - does not mean I am living an empty life. No indeed. Quite the opposite - literally. Starting with last Wednesday this foodie has fully indulged.

On Wednesday I ate lunch at Chef Ricks in Santa Maria, and Rick never fails to please! On Friday night Papa and I met friends at Et Voila!, and on Saturday I drove with a friend to Los Olivos to see an exhibit of Milford Zorne's inspiring watercolors. While there we found a little farmer's market selling black-eyed peas. Bliss to this southern girl's heart. We visited a great olive shop, and I dropped a bunch of cash on mango vinegar, blood orange olive oil, and olives. And two new oil spouts. And then! Lunch at a little cafe. I'd planned to have "just a little salad" of course. But!!! My eye caught "Southern Que Sandwich" on the menu.

Here's the back story. Years ago - like more than 40, I suspect - in Florence, Alabama, a friend and I would pick up pastries from a bakery then head to the wrong side of town to an awful looking BBQ joint. We'd sit in the car to eat the best BBQ sandwiches in the universe, wash them down with Dr. Pepper, and finish off the lunch with our sinful long john pastries. Heaven. I'm guessing one of us was pregnant.

Even though in between that time and now I was a very strict vegetarian for more than fifteen years and currently eat very little meat other than poultry and fish, I never forgot the taste of those sandwiches. So on Saturday when I saw Southern Que's on the menu, I just had to order one. That was absolutely the best BBQ sandwich I have had since Alabama. Without a doubt. Oh my! My friend laughed at me all through lunch. It did come with the little salad I'd planned to order - and it was good, too.

Then tonight, after a long day of meetings for the art association, I came home late to make sandwiches out of a pork tenderloin we cooked last night - it has just a hint of curry in the rub. I sliced the pork very thinly, used small flatbread buns, spread them with mustard and mayo, and added cheese, our garden lettuce, and dill pickles. Nothing fancy, I thought - but good enough for a quick dinner. Oh, and I warmed them a little. I'll have to tell you that was one fine sandwich. About as good as the one I had on Saturday. I could have eaten three of them. Maybe more. I am proud to tell you that I stopped at one.

So what if I gained back two pounds? The pleasure was worth every ounce. So what if my tummy jiggles when the car hits a bump? When it does I'll remember all that good food and the family and friends who've shared it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment