Friday, November 27, 2009

What took me so long?

Yesterday I learned that food tastes better the day after I cook it. Well, I sort of knew that, but I didn't take that knowledge seriously enough. I cooked most of our Thanksgiving meal on Wednesday, working most of the day on it. I even made the gravy. All left to do on T day was to cook the turkey, the mashed potatoes, and the asparagus. Oh, and make appetizers. Everything else was ready to pop in the oven. Papa cooked the turkey on the grill - with great success. A 21 lb turkey in three hours! Yay!

So usually when I eat the Thanksgiving meal, I am underwhelmed, even when others say it is good. Eating leftovers the next day has always been fabulous. Now I get it. How could it be that I am such a slow learner? This Thanksgiving meal was the best! I believe two factors are to be considered here. First, I believe flavors blend more by the next day. More importantly, I believe my nose and taste buds are not in overload.

In the old days when I didn't have the leisure to cook the day before, this would have been just a bit of info to store in my hard drive, serving no good purpose. Retirement rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment