Friday, January 7, 2011

Thunder Bolt

So yesterday I was walking from St. Hugh's College, Oxford, to our hotel, The Old Parsonage. Even though I was barely awake, a sudden feeling of wonder grabbed at me. What in the heck am I doing walking down Banbury Road in Oxford, England? I felt overwhelmed with the idea of it all. Daughter had just presented a well-received paper at the best university in the world. And we had toured the oldest library. And I had heard some of the brightest young scholars talk about their work. What????? Me???? How did all this come about?

After a blissful night of sleep, we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, packed and checked out of The Parsonage. They held onto our bags while we visited shops and the beautiful Ashmolean Museum.

A cab took us to the train station so we could make the one hour ride to Paddington Station, then change to the tube for a quick trip to our charming hotel in a beautiful old London Neighborhood.

Daughter and I had a bit of a wet trek from the train station, but that was actually a fun adventure, too. Daughter stays here every time she makes her way to Wales, so I will be able to imagine her here during future trips. For dinner, she suggested a small Italian joint just around the corner. Yum. Good pasta, surprisingly good wine and dessert. So spoiled.

1 comment: