Tuesday, January 4, 2011

All's Well That Ends Well

Last night candlelight transformed our hotel dining room into the perfect setting for my marvelous beet salad, mushroom risotto, and divine "chocolate nemesis" - the best flour less chocolate cake I have ever had. Viogner and port paired well. Heaven.

We staggered to our room, enjoyed glorious hot showers, and turned in about 8:30. Burning foot pain jolted me awake a couple of hours later. I massaged the cramped foot and tried not to move more than absolutely necessary with the hope of going right back to sleep. Eventually I discovered Daughter was awake, too. We gave up on sleep and read, then finally drifted off again at four or five and, thank heavens, slept until after ten. Oh joy!!!!!!!

We skipped breakfast and rushed to make our 11:30 tour of the Bodelian Library. After that we ate lunch in an organic restaurant housed in a centuries old gathering room. With little time to spare, we met our walking tour guide about 2:00. Both tours were very informative and wonderful. We learned about the university and enjoyed seeing the city.

My coat kept me warm, but my fingers and toes are just now thawing. Oh my! Very cold. Dinner soon.

Oxford is a beautiful old city and I am thrilled to be here. Of course there is more to do than we can possibly manage, but we are looking forward to the British Society of Eighteenth Century Studies conference, concerts, museums, and....... Who knows? Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day, except for the cold fingers and toes! :( Hope you don't get any more foot cramps! Standing on the foot usually hleps. Sounds fun in spite of the physical issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So enjoying keeping up with your blog.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know someone reads these:)

    ReplyDelete