Monday, May 17, 2010

Trying Not To

So, every now an then I write a whiny post about gaining weight. I try not to do it very often. Actually, I eat mindfully, exercise, and make an effort not to even think about weight on an average day.

But sometimes heavy thoughts sneak up on me. Today was one of those times. I was invited to a clothes party - think Tupperware concept. I thought about declining the invitation, but my friend seemed to want me to come even if I didn't buy anything. Last time I went to one of those, that hostess seemed miffed that all I bought was a belt. I didn't want that scenario again.

I picked up a friend and drove up the coast to the party. I'd skipped lunch because I knew the hostess would serve excellent food. Of course she did. We all nibbled, talked recipes,then viewed the collection.

Most of the clothes were not the kind of clothes I like or can wear. But I saw a few pieces that appealed to me - all tops. Well, everyone of those vests or jackets hit at a place that showed off the biggest part of me. Our family tends to sport bubble butts. And when we age and gain, they get bigger, with a shelf effect. I hate it.

I could have bought one cute bomber style jacket that had a ruffled front. Sounds weird, but it was cute - except from my backside. To feel better, I ate a brownie. I didn't feel better, but I really enjoyed the killer brownie.

This morning I had begun a closet purge - a chore I'd been putting off. When I came home I returned to the task, going through the pile of clothes I needed to try on. Lo and behold! All the clothes I thought were questionable fit!!! Praise be!

So all is not as bad as I feared. I decided closet shopping is way better than shopping in the wrong place.

1 comment: