Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Labor

At this hour forty two years ago, I was in labor. Most of you will agree that labor is no picnic. It is not. And I did it the easy way - drugs. Still no fun. But so worth it.

In thinking over the last 42 years, only one brief moment of uncertainty about parenthood comes to mind. It had something to do with trying to make a payment at Sears, I think. The day was already in the tank. My plate was too full, I didn't feel well, and the kid decided to yell as only a toddler can. We both survived it, but I still remember the look on the customer service lady's face.Like "Do something!"

All that seems like yesterday.

This morning I considered my 42nd birthday. I was working as a school counselor in Indiana. My daughter was in middle school. And that seems like five minutes ago.

Parenthood has seemed fast and - except for the Sear's incident -easy. My child is no longer a kid, but a smart and beautiful almost middle aged, woman who juggles a family, job, and doctoral program. She'll present a scholarly paper in January. Yep - all grown.

And I am proud of her and her accomplishments - especially that she has achieved parenthood, too, giving me Buddy and Roo.

Happy Birthday!

1 comment: