Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Spoiled

So, I am spoiled. We have established a morning routine. We wake. Papa goes to get my decaf and toasted raisin bagel while I check my mail. Eventually we muster enough energy to get ready for the next leg of our trip, usually about 10:00.

So we pulled out of Reno according to schedule and headed through Carson City and across the basin and range area into the Sierras. Papa explained that subduction of the ocean crust formed a massive batholith of magma over four hundred miles long. Millions of years ago the upward force of the magma formed the now extinct volcanoes that comprise the Sierras, mostly massive residue of granite exposed by erosion. Who knew?

At some point they were covered by glaciers that, when melted, left behind lakes like the beautiful Mono Lake we saw today. I gasped as we rounded a mountain curve to see the big, salty, very blue water. Though all the scenery today was stunning, Mono Lake was my favorite. Papa said the glacial moraines were his favorite and were worth the whole trip.

The combination of heat and altitude were ruthless, so were were happy to get back down to four or five thousand feet in Bishop tonight. Mono Lake is over nine thousand, and we were, for a short while, higher than that. Whew! No energy, I could barely move. I was happy to get back to the cool car.

Tomorrow we head for Bakersfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment